Mar. 12. 2017
Marquette To Face South Carolina In NCAA Championship
Milwaukee - The Marquette University men's basketball team has earned an at-large bid to the 2017 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship and will face South Carolina in the opening round on Friday, March 17.
The Golden Eagles are the 10 seed in the East Region and will face 7-seeded South Carolina. Tip time and television coverage will be announced later this evening.
Marquette has only been seeded 10th once in its previous 31 appearances and fell to Providence 81-59 in 1997 in Charlotte, N.C.
Marquette, which is celebrating 100 years of program history this season, is making its 32nd appearance in the NCAA tournament and first since 2012-13. The program, which claimed the national title in 1977, also owns 16 trips to the Sweet Sixteen and has participated in the Final Four on three occasions (1974, 1977, 2003).
- MU is ranked in the top-50 all-time in overall victories (1,588) and top-35 in winning percentage (.618)
- 1977 NCAA Championship
- 48 postseason appearances; eighth most among all Division I programs
- 32 NCAA Tournament appearances
- Three trips to the Final Four (1974, 1977, 2003)
- 16 trips to the Sweet 16 (most recently 2012-13 - Elite Eight)
- One of just 18 schools to have won both an NCAA and NIT Championship (1970)